Friday, January 27, 2012

Lemon Butter Sauce ~ good for fish or veggies!

This delicious sauce only takes 3 -4 minutes to make.  If you are making it for Shabbat, make this last.  You can set it aside on a blech until serving time. It is a thin sauce - not at all thick like hollandaise so a little goes a long way.  Still, I normally double this recipe.

Ingredients: 

2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
3 Tbs dry white vermouth OR Cheap dry white wine (my daughter figured this out!)
Salt and white pepper
1 stick (115 g) chilled butter cut in to 12 fingertip-size pieces

Instructions:

In a small saucepan, slowly boil the lemon juice, vermouth, and ¼ tablespoon of salt. Boil down to about 1 tablespoon. A piece or two at a time, beat in the chilled pieces of butter, adding another piece or two just as the previous pieces just have melted, so that the sauce remains ivory colored, rather than looking like melted butter.

Keep warm until serving time. 

A little goes a long way - but I normally double the recipe as it is just so yummy spooned over vegetables and fish.  In the photo below, I served the Lemon Butter Sauce with salmon and asparagus. Often, I will toss on a few capers as they are so delicious.


5 comments:

  1. And yes, my dairy plates are square and white - my meat plates are round and white!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious -- and easy (easy is always good!) Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, it is actually quite easy. I often do the reduction of the wine and lemon juice earlier in the day and set it aside. Just before serving, I will then heat it up and begin adding the butter - this makes it even easier!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easier is even better than easy!

    ReplyDelete